Friend or Acquaintance?
This morning while I lay in bed pondering yet another snow day (and a sinus headache) and waiting for my Sudafed & Motrin to start working I had a question pop into my mind. This question made me wonder if others had ever thought about it in relation to their life. What is that question? Well, the question was: Are you a friend or an acquaintance of Jesus?
In order to answer this question we must know the difference, so I looked up the two words using SWAGBUCKS search and here is what I found:
Friend: –noun (www.Dictionary.com)
- a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard.
- a person who gives assistance; patron; supporter
- a person who is on good terms with another
- a member of the same nation, party, etc.
- (initial capital letter) a member of the Religious Society of Friends; a Quaker.
Acquaintance: –noun (www.Dictionary.com)
- a person known to one, but usually not a close friend.
- the state of being acquainted.
- personal knowledge as a result of study, experience, etc.
- (used with a plural verb) the persons with whom one is acquainted.
I know I can say that I am an acquaintance of Jesus because I have knowledge of Him through study and experience, but the question remains am I a friend of His? I’d like to think I am considered a friend, but all to often, I’m sad to say, I think I act more like an acquaintance. I love the song Thank You and would love to some day experience something similar — but have I truly been a good and faithful friend to Jesus.
I know there are more times when I should have/could have been a better friend and my prayer is that those times are small compared to the times when I was a good friend.
So how about you? Are you a friend or an acquaintance?
Edited to add the following disclaimer: I realize that many people dislike Ray Boltz now because they feel he has fallen from grace; however, I still feel this song speaks to me and for that reason and that reason alone I chose it. If you are one of those that dislike Ray Boltz please refrain from making derogatory statements on my blog about him — write your own blog post (you can even refer people to mine so they know why you’re choosing to rant).